Teaching In China

Hello Everyone,
If you have come to this page then must be at least slightly interested in my exploration and experiences in China. This opportunity has been provided to me, and my fellow participants by the National Committee on U.S.-China Relations, if you are interested in learning more please do not hesitate to look at some of the amazing work this organization is doing. I am participating in the NCUSCR's Teacher Exchange Program which has been sending K-12 educators to china since 1996. Please enjoy my PG-13 Chinese exploits.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Rans of Nanjing

Nimon Hao!

So I spend 5 days in Nanjing and Shanghai this past week, and I seemed to bring the rain with me.  This made sight seeing way more complicated than it needed to be.

A reconstructed city gate in Nanjing, Pretty awesome park and lake on the other side.

China has a reputation for paving and developing, but their city parks rival any I've seen in the States.

Here's the skyscraper in Nanjing... there are more, but this is the one that the Chinese recognize.

Here's the third largest Library in China, shocking that I found it.  I know, shocking that I managed to find it.

Super rainy in Shanghai... but David still managed to lead Rex and I into some random alleys.

Back in Nanjing... Here's the statue for the famous crossing of the Yangtze

So I've now crossed the two major rivers of China, no mean feat.

Luoyang is applying for some sort of status increase, here I am drinking with a member of the Chinese Parliament
 Back in Luoyang: Here are a few shots of Old, Town, the area I live near in Luoyang.
This area is full of craftsmen from framers, to sign makers, to traditional costume designers.

At night this area is a huge Snack street, I'm pretty sure I shown pictures of this before.

Here is the artisan street, where we buy paper cuttings, scrolls, and antiques of various provenance.

Approaching the West Gate, and some traditional Luoyang restaurants.

The West Gate

West Gate, a bit closer

The walk back to the East Gate and Erwai

This "Old Town", unlike those of Beijing or Shanghai, is actually home to many locals, adding to it's authenticity.

Like much of China, this area is in constant reconstruction.

Here is the East Gate, less grand, but more traditional.

Leaving Old Town

The old gate house, now just a house house

The edges of Old Town have an intriguing mix of Ancient and Modern.

Here's one way to keep people from passing through your property.

Liulin Lu, one half of the my school street

One of the rare three story homes in the older style

Here is the 700 year old pagoda, often ignored by the locals, but a integral landmark for us foreigners.
So I've got a month left, and at least 1 big trip, not sure where I'll go, but I'm sure I'll let all of you know.  See all of you soon.

Zaijian

No comments:

Post a Comment